Tell Us Once Service

Tell Us Once Service

This blog provides an overview of the Tell Us Once service and is based on information obtained from the HMRC web site

Tell Us Once is a service that allows you to report a death to most government organisations in one go.

When you register the death, the Registrar will:-

  • Let you know if the service is available in your area
  • Give you the phone number
  • Give you a unique reference number

Before you use Tell Us Once

You will need the following details of the person who has died:-

  • Date of Birth
  • National Insurance Number
  • Driving License Number
  • Vehicle Registration Number
  • Passport Number

You will also need the following details of the person who has died:-

  • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were receiving (such as the state pension)
  • Details of any local council services they were receiving (e.g. blue badge)
  • The name and address of the next of kin
  • The name and address of any surviving spouse or civil partner
  • Details of any public sector or armed forces pension schemes they were receiving or paying in to
  • The name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money)
  • This person / company is also known as their executor or administrator

You will need the permission from the next of kin, the executor, the administrator or anyone who was claiming joint benefits or entitlements with the person who has died, before you give their details.

Organisations Tell Us Once will contact

Tell Us Once will notify the following organisations of the death:-

  • HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC) – to deal with personal tax
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) – to cancel benefits
  • Passport Office – to cancel a British passport
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) – to cancel a driving license and to remove the person as a keeper for up to 5 vehicles
  • Public sector or armed forces pension schemes – to stop pension payments
  • The local council – to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a blue badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register

If Tell Us Once is not available

You will have to let the relevant organisations know about the death yourself if:-

  • Your local register office does not offer the Tell Us Once service
  • You choose not to use it
  • The person died abroad in a country where Tell Us Once is not available

The Tell Us Once service is not available in Northern Ireland or the following local authorities:-

  • Brighton and Hove
  • Croydon
  • East Sussex
  • Eastbourne
  • Hammersmith and Fulham
  • Harrow
  • Hastings
  • Lewes
  • Liverpool
  • Manchester
  • Medway
  • Rother
  • Wealden

The Tell Us Once service does not cover banks and other financial organisations. You should contact the person’s bank or mortgage, pension or insurance providers to close or change the details of their accounts.

For further information on Tell Us Once, please contact Stallion Accountancy Services.

About the author...

George Greer is an experienced ACCA qualified Business Owner with a demonstrated history of working in the accounting industry. He is skilled in Accounts and Finance Management, Budgeting and Business Planning with excellent knowledge of Sage and Xero Products. Strong professional with a BSc focused in Business Computing Systems from City University London.

ft_viewallby georgegreer

Add your comment

Fields marked with * are mandatory