What to do if you need to change your Tax Return

What to do if you need to change your Tax Return

This blog describes what you have to do if you submit but then have to change your tax return. It is based on the HMRC website https://www.gov.uk/self-assessment-tax-returns/corrections.

Change your Tax Return

You can make a change to your tax return after you’ve filed it, for example because you made a mistake. You will need to make your changes by:

  • 31 January 2018 for the 2015 to 2016 tax year
  • 31 January 2019 for the 2016 to 2017 tax year

If you miss the deadline or if you need to change your tax return for any other tax year you will need to write to HMRC.

Your bill will then be updated based on what you report. You may also have to pay more tax or be able to claim a refund.

Change your tax return

How you update your tax return depends on how you filed it.

Online tax returns

  1. Log in to your HMRC online account.
  2. From ‘Your tax account’, choose ’Self Assessment account’ (if you do not see this, skip this step).
  3. Choose ‘More Self Assessment details’.
  4. Select ‘At a glance’ from the left-hand menu.
  5. Choose ‘Tax return options’.
  6. Choose the tax year for the return you want to amend.
  7. Go into the tax return, make the corrections and file it again.

Paper tax returns

Download a new tax return, and send HMRC the corrected pages. You should then write ‘amendment’ on each page, and include your name and Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR). This is also on previous tax returns or letters from HMRC.

Check your Self Assessment paperwork for the address. If you can’t find this, send your corrections to the address for general Self Assessment enquiries.

If you used commercial software

Contact the software provider for help correcting your tax return. Contact HMRC if your software isn’t able to make corrections.

Write to HMRC

Write to HMRC if you need to make a change to your tax return from the 2014 to 2015 tax year or earlier.

Include in your letter:

  • the tax year you are correcting
  • why you think you have paid too much or little tax
  • how much you think you have over or underpaid

You can claim a refund up to 4 years after the end of the tax year it relates to. If you’re making a claim, also include in your letter:

  • that you are making a claim for ‘overpayment relief’
  • proof that you had paid tax through Self Assessment for the relevant period
  • how you want to be repaid
  • that you have not previously tried to claim back this refund
  • a signed declaration saying that the details you have given are correct and complete to the best of your knowledge

Changes to your bill

You’ll see your amended bill straight away if you updated your tax return online. Within 3 days, your statement will also show:

  • the difference from the old one, so you can see whether you owe more or less tax
  • any interest

To view this, log in to your account and then choose ‘View statements’ from the left-hand menu.

If you’re owed tax

To claim a refund, go to ‘Request a repayment’ from the left-hand menu within your HMRC online account. You should then allow 4 weeks for your refund to be sent to your bank account.

You may not get a refund if you have tax due in the next 35 days (for example for a payment on account). Instead, the money will be deducted from the tax you owe.

If you need to pay more tax

Your updated bill will also show:

  • the deadline for paying
  • the effect on any payments on account you then need to make

If you sent an updated paper return

HMRC will send you an updated bill within 4 weeks. They will also pay any refund directly into your bank account, as long as you included your bank details on tax return.

Should you require further information then please contact Stallion Accountancy Services.

About the author...

George Greer is an experienced ACCA qualified Business Owner with a demonstrated history of working in the accounting industry. He is skilled in Accounts and Finance Management, Budgeting and Business Planning with excellent knowledge of Sage and Xero Products. Strong professional with a BSc focused in Business Computing Systems from City University London.

ft_viewallby georgegreer

Add your comment

Fields marked with * are mandatory